Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Halfway between Never-Never Land and Utopia

I finally received my placement information for the Austrian Adventure. I'll be living in the village of Stegersbach, in the Burgenland. Don't tell me you've heard of it, because you haven't, unless I've already told you about it. Only 2,395 people live there.

Does it have a castle? It certainly does.

Anyway, important things to know about Stegersbach. It is about 120 km south of Vienna, on the far eastern side of the country. Only 70 km from the border with Hungary. It is home to Austria's first (and hopefully only) economic school with an emphasis on golf sports. Not coincidentally, it's the home of the largest golf resort in Europe—45 holes on 190 ha. Also has some fine thermal baths and is in the heart of Austrian wine country. Evidently 300 days of sunshine per year equals good grapes. Stegersbach is home to Austria's first helical church, for you architecture buffs.

So that's where I'll be, kiddos. If I survive finals.

No comments:

Blog Archive