Monday, October 13, 2003

So...this tact thing...not really working out for you, hm?

The thing I've discovered about my students is that they're absolutely unworried about offending me. They couldn't care less. I had one kid inform me today that school uniforms are fascist, Osama Bin Laden was just a scapegoat for the WTC attacks, and George Bush is a frontman for an oil cartel that secretly runs the U.S. I'm all, Hm, that's interesting. Jackass.

The problem is that, as a teacher (still a freaky phrase to write in reference to myself) and, you know, an adult, I can't just say, "Uh, you're full of shit." I have to be all reasoned and respectful of their stupid opinions. Plus, I feel like I have to prove everything I say, and while I'm reasonably intelligent, I'm not the USA Fact Book, here.

So mostly I just try to divert them with, "Oh, we can totally do a lesson on that. Later."

Yeah, later. Like July later.

No comments:

Blog Archive