Monday, October 27, 2003

I thought holiday implied...well, not walking for six miles in freezing weather, frankly.

Yesterday was the Austrian national holiday celebrating the end of foreign occupation after World War II. Evidently this is traditionally celebrated by going on a military-style march through the surrounding burgs. Which I was forced to do yesterday in the company of my teacher, her boyfriend, and her cousin.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, of course. I went voluntarily, the pace was more of a leisurely walk, and it wasn't (quite) freezing. We did, however, walk for six miles.

It was, however, high good times. We talked about the crazy dog running around in front of us, about men, about the history of Austria, whatever you please. And all in German, and *mostly* in dialect. Understanding was, I felt, a major accomplishment.

Also, I just took a lung function test, and, I'll have you know, my lungs are 10% above normal. Mmmm-hm.

No comments:

Blog Archive