Friday, October 31, 2003

Hey! I'm going to give you aggravated circumstances.

Certain things about teaching are the most fun. Of course you all know that I like to be the boss of the world, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about things like writing on the board. I love writing on the board. I like the way my fingers feel all chalky afterwards, and I love that my school provides colored chalk so I can go nuts. I write all sorts of things on the board. Probably more things than are strictly necessary, to be honest.

I like giving my kids candy for Halloween, or keeping it from the really bad class that annoyed me first thing this morning. They don't know that they missed out, but I do. I gave my second class extra candy in retaliation. Being unfair is an excellent part of teaching.

I like not doing things that my teachers did that drove me crazy. I'm not about group work, multiple choice, or getting off on tangents. I'm not about being humorless, being a pushover, or never expressing my opinion. I'm as me in the classroom as I am anywhere else.

I like that moment where everyone is talking and not paying attention, and I yell, "Hey!" and they all shut up. It's good that I like this moment, because I get to experience it several times every hour.

Teaching is good times, is what I'm trying to say—and, I think, trying to remind myself. I might have miserably annoying, unmotivated, rude classes like this morning's fourth form, but there's still some fun to be had.

End PSA.

No comments:

Blog Archive