Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Beiß mich, Telefonoperatorfrau

How to start your day off right:
Get up at quarter to seven, go straight to the telephone, and attempt to make an international phone call in a language you haven't spoken in a year and a half.

So that was fun.

And another thing: what is the deal with people not knowing what language they speak in Austria? I mean, really. Austria's in Europe, an area heavily emphasized in American public schools. It was part of Germany for a long friggin' time. Ah-nuld is from there. But people constantly ask me what language they speak in that evidently mysterious country. Typical conversation:

Ignorant person: So what did you major in?
Me: English and German.
IP: So what are you going to do with that, then?
Me: Well, next year I'm going to Austria to teach English.
IP: Oh yeah? Austria, huh? What language do they speak there?
Me: ...German?
IP: Oh. *Confused pause. Forehead furrows as if trying to remember something.* Austria...Austria....

I mean, even if you didn't know, me telling you my major should be a damn fine clue. A little logical reasoning is all I'm asking for.

Tex summed it up the best, I think, when I complained about this phenomenon to him: "Well, anyway. Austria's language isn't named after it, so it's not easy to remember like 'American.'"

No comments:

Blog Archive