Thursday, June 05, 2003

Excuse me, Old MacDonald? Move your ass.

So when I left for work this morning there were a bunch of farm animals milling around in my driveway. I mean, they were milling in a truck that was in my driveway, but still. What a surreal experience. I live in the middle of the fourth largest city in the nation, people, but it was a confusing moment of throwback to rural Nebraska when I walked out my door at 8:30 a.m. and heard, "Baa. Baaaaaaa." I literally stopped in my tracks on my balcony and said, "That was definitely a sheep. The hell?"

There were, in fact, two sheep, a miniature donkey of some sort, and something that I couldn't really identify but suspect was either a llama or an alpaca, and they were just hanging out. I assume they were there for the amusement of the children at the Montessori school that's next door, but really, where do you even find those animals in urban Houston? I mean, wouldn't trucking them in from somewhere that they actually live be prohibitively expensive? Or does some guy in the neighborhood just have a flock of sheep in his backyard, all, "Oh, yeah, the sheep. Yeah, they're great for keepin' the yard mowed and fertilized. Oh, and the kids just love that minature donkey. Ride 'im around and chase the alpaca all over the place. I tole 'em they're gonna get hit by an SUV someday iff'n they don' stay outta the traffic, there, but what're ya gonna do, ya know?"

This city is weird. It could happen.

No comments:

Blog Archive