Sunday, January 05, 2003

Faster than a speeding...Tracker

I drove from my hometown to Houston (a little over 900 miles) in 15 hours today, from 6:45 a.m. 'till 9:40 p.m. I seriously got out of the car only when I needed to refuel it. I am able to do this because I have a magic bladder that gets full just when I pull into gas stations and not before. It's like a superpower.

Speaking of, I have spent kind of a ridiculous amount of time thinking about what superpower I would want if I were suddenly granted one. I'm pretty sure it's not flying, because that seems too dangerous, considering how often I run into things on the ground. Think about all those birds and telephone wires and stuff—I can barely avoid those things in two dimensions of movement. (While I was home, I saw a pheasant fly right into a telephone wire. It was weirdly hilarious.) Telepathy would be good if I could turn it off and on at will. Otherwise, no thanks; basic human empathy will get you almost as far. Spidersense? Not a superpower. In the end, I'm going to have to go with being ridiculously, insanely, bathing-in-money wealthy. Practical, possible, damn fun. It's the pragmatist's superpower.

No comments:

Blog Archive