Wednesday, May 14, 2003

You'd be crabby too if a house fell on your sister.

Glad to report that I made it safely from Houston to Wayne, although there was a brief period of excitement in Omaha: the tornado sirens went off and M4 and I got stuck in the children's section of a Borders. We sat on the little stage and looked at I Spy books for 15 minutes while covertly watching the cute desk clerk, who would answer the phone when it rang, very politely explain that there was a tornado, then hang up and snark, "No, I'm not going to go find your book!" He was thrilled to be sitting around watching the weather and hanging out while on the clock. We named him Tom; I don't know why.

As I've explained before, I like tornados and storms and extreme weather of every kind. I got a little thrill of nervous excitement when the Borders clerks herded us back to the oversized Harry Potter display and turned on the local weather. I don't know how long that excitement would have lasted if an actual tornado had ripped through, flinging books and people and what have you everywhere, but it was exciting while it lasted.

And I didn't even think of Wizard of Oz once.

No comments:

Blog Archive