Monday, February 03, 2003

Thank you for flying Church of England, cake or death?

Re: my last post, M3 and I decided that the reverse phenomenon, where you like somebody that none of your friends likes, is equally if not more common. Pablo Robio, anybody?

I find that this situation usually affects me more in the area of opinions than relationships. This is not to say that I don't feel free to hold contrary opinions; it's just that some of my friends and family are so rabid about theirs that it's usually more pain than pleasure to express mine. For example, my brother is of the opinion that red meat is God's gift to nutrition—according to him, most Americans are sissies who eat too much chicken—and he won't be deterred from this opinion. There's no reason for me to wave a carrot stick in his face because he'll just talk over me with his mouth full of steak until I get tired and call him a dirty name. Most of my friends swear up and down that Republicans are the scourge of the earth. Now, I'm not so sure we should be having tax cuts instead of prescription drug programs, but I don't think a little fiscal (and moral) responsibility is out of line, either. I refuse to argue about politics (i.e., I don't want to see it in my comments) because nobody is going to be persuaded one way or the other. I'm just saying...yours isn't the only opinion out there.

I'm sure at this point that everybody who reads my blog is gasping at my audacity. "Ha! You're the queen of contrary, single-minded opinion-holding and -expressing!" Um, sometimes, when it doesn't really matter. I don't think anybody's emotions are too invested in Tex-Mex or the non-romantic non-love story of My Fair Lady. When it really counts, I'll hold my tongue. I'm more concerned about feelings than opinions.

And to those of you who wondered who the last post was about...not you, okay? Might not even be anybody you know. Sometimes I'm capable of being hypothetical! Shocking!

No, it was you.

Just kidding.

(No, really. All you.)

Not you at all. Never you.

Totally you.


No comments:

Blog Archive