Tuesday, February 11, 2003

I'd like to thank your mom

Academy Award nominations came out today. I've seen exactly one of the Best Picture nominees (Chicago), mainly because I won't go to movies without reading the book (in general—sometimes I don't know that there is a book, or I decide that I don't care—generally that only happens when the book isn't a classic or famous), so that leaves out The Two Towers and The Hours. I have no intention of seeing Gangs of New York because I hate Leonardo DiCrapio, and The Pianist is on my list, but I am a) poor and b) busy.

I'm relatively impressed by the nominations this year. There are a few categories that are striving for mediocrity (Animated Feature, I'm lookin' at you), and I'm sad that Far From Heaven didn't get a Best Picture nod, but I'm willing to let it go based on Julianne Moore's Best Actress nomination, since she was far and away the best part of a wonderful film. But I think the Academy had a relatively large field of options to work with this year, and they did a good job of letting the cream rise to the top. I don't see anything on the list that makes me absolutely want to scream in outrage, although the previously-mentioned Animated Feature category is sort of a no-brainer. (If Ice Age doesn't win, there's no justice in the world. The dodo scene alone is enough.) Sometimes I think they give awards based on strange things like previous nominations for the actors or what have you. I like to call it the "Julia Roberts effect." (How did she beat Laura Linney? How?!? It's a crime!) I prefer it when things are judged on their own merits and not how "anticipated" they were or how respected the director is. Even a respected director makes shite now and then. Which probably means Martin Scorcese is a shoo-in this year, since he's been nominated three times before, but now that DiCrapio's on board, he's gold. Bleh. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Julianne Moore and and audience shots featuring Roberto Benigni.

No comments:

Blog Archive