Monday, February 24, 2003

Positive: More than a test result, people.

I'm the first person to enjoy a good complaining session, a day-long mope, or even a sudden, explosive rage that can be felt from several miles away. However, I'd like to say that the entire world? Not out to get you. Unless your name is Osama.

This is my new Big Goal (besides shorter posts): decrease the negativity in my life. Most of that is my deal—I need to stop assuming the worst about people the moment I don't get the response I want, I need to be more flexible, and I need to accentuate the positive, as Bing likes to say. My life is relatively good, all things considered, and I want to keep that in mind. Some of this problem, however, is a societal thing, I think: Americans seem to be perpetually unsatisfied, and it's getting on my nerves. (Yes, I realize the irony is overwhelming.)

Everybody has problems, and I'm probably willing to listen to yours whenever you want to talk about them. More than happy to do it. But if you're just complaining to complain, you need to knock that shit off. Got a pet peeve? Fine; you'll not see me giving up my grammar rants. Got 200 pet peeves? You need to calm down before your blood pressure makes your head explode. You're not solving the problem; you're just making yourself (and others) more miserable. So clean up your act.

Now, as I said, I think this is, by and large, a societal issue, so try not to take it too personally. I'm not out to get you.

No comments:

Blog Archive