Monday, April 26, 2004

Wild weekend

This weekend was fun good times, mostly because I was out and about randomly. Okay, that's a lie. This weekend was good times because the kids had a golf tournament and the internat was empty. Whatever.

Anyway, my Betreuungslehererin called me at 11:15 on Saturday and said, "I come pick you up in 20 minutes." I said, "Uh. Okay." So she did. We did some bumming around Güssing, but the highlight of the day was the local soccer game.

If you know me at all, you know I like sports but think soccer is BOR-ing. Not golf-level boring, but definitely snooze-inducing. This was not a problem Saturday, because the ref was completely malcompetent. Halfway through the first half, one of our players was unjustly red-carded and we had to play the rest of the game at a disadvantage. And then, with the score tied 4-3 and the other team making increasingly more aggressive shots on goal, the ref made them play SIX extra minutes for no apparent reason. He's lucky the other team didn't score, or he would have seen hooliganism in action.

Anyway, soccer of course leads to drinking, and we congregated at the local Gasthaus after the game for wine and analysis of referee stupidity.

Last night I went to the welcome barbeque for the Croatian exchange students. I got a few nice strokes to my ego from people commenting on how much my German has improved. I also got the weirdest door prize/souvenir ever: it's a book with a photo from every house in Neuberg (a small village near Stegersbach) in it. What the hell am I supposed to do with that? Laugh at it, mostly.

Then I came home, prepared a lesson on Canada (please note, 3HAS class: moose and elk are not the same thing), and went to bed. Fantastic.

No comments:

Blog Archive