Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Senioritis: Not just for Americans anymore

I'm supposed to teach the 5A twice a week, Monday and Wednesday. I see them approximately every other week, as it works out. I'm actually supposed to be there right now, but as half of them have decided to stay home and the other half is watching a project presentation in the library, I'm sitting in front of the computer instead.

When I was in high school, I started having senioritis in the middle of my sophomore year. This is because the majority of my friends were seniors, I was taking a couple of senior classes, and above all, I disliked high school intenesely. I did everything I could to get out of class, from joining the speech team to claiming I needed an extra period to take classes at the local college. I tried to skip over classes entirely (something the administration was not so thrilled about—and actually remains bitter about to this day, I found out recently), and I started looking at colleges. My attitude was, "Get me out of here as quickly as possible."

My kids aren't really doing it the way I did it. They're mostly doing the classic senioritis, and as a teacher, I want to smack them and say, "You're not graduated yet, you know."

Guess that explains why my teachers were so impatient with me in my last two years of school.

No comments:

Blog Archive