Friday, January 23, 2004

As much as I bitch and moan...

I know I've spent a lot of time complaining about my students. Yes, they're lazy and tactless and uninterested—most of the time. But I do have one class that's absolutely fantastic.

My 3AK (the equivalent of juniors) class is outstanding. They're not the smartest kids in the world, but they're consistently enthusiastic. This is the class where the boys tease me about "goulash songs" because of something I read with them in an article two months ago. The girls in the back row do that thing where they nearly dislocate their shoulders trying to get my attention.

They read whatever I want them to with minimal moaning. They're the only class that I trust to do group work, because they all actually participate in whatever nutty task it is, be it making up a new environmental holiday or rating tourist attractions in the U.S. They don't swear at me under their breaths, they don't stare off into space (too much), and they don't talk when I'm talking, for which I could kiss every single one of them.

So I'm just saying, my life is not always as hard as I make it out to be. I see the 3AK one and a half times a week, and they're always fun to be around. Whether they make up for the bad behavior of the 4BK is another story entirely.

No comments:

Blog Archive