Saturday, November 08, 2003

Litmus Tests

There are certain characteristics we all look for in friends: funny, thoughtful, patient, blah blah blah. Not all that hard to find, really. There are few people so bereft of good characteristics that they don't have at least one friend.

However, there are certain things that, when you hear a person say them, you just know an enduring friendship is in the offing. Some of mine:

Knowing that the proverb "don't judge a book by its cover" is hogwash. Particularly when it comes to actual books.

Thinking that bathroom humor is secretly quite funny. (I come from a family where poop is commonly discussed at meals. Meals in restaurants, no less.)

Being annoyed by the entire decade of the 80s.

Understanding innately that grammar is the most potent force in the world.

Having a special and enduring love for personality tests and other sorts of innocuous navel-gazing.

Realizing that really, rainy weather is the best weather.

The moment somebody says one of these things, I know that there's going to be very little they can do after that to dissuade me of their innate coolness. These things resonate in a way more general characteristics can't. Someone that I was well on the way to liking told me last night that she can't buy books that have ugly covers, and I swear the first thought to cross my mind was, "So true! Oh, I have to love you now!" The second thought was, "My mom will love you, too!" And then today we went to a craft fair with her cousin, and were kitschy and happy, and I do love her because she's sweet and funny, but most of all because she's picky about how books look. These things resonate.

No comments:

Blog Archive