Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Use the force, Luke. No, force in pounds.

I cannot get used to the metric system. I've already complained about not being able to figure out how much of a fever I was running because the damn thermometer was in Celcius. I have a hard time talking about the weather because of this. For the past week I've had to describe the weather in English, and it seriously always comes out like this: "It was beautiful—50...uh, 10 degrees the whole week." Does 10 degrees sound like beautiful weather? I submit that it does not. (Frankly, neither does 50, but it was February in England, so...)

Also, how many apples are in a kilo? I don't know. I ended up with 6 1/2 pounds of blood oranges once because I forgot to convert from metrics. Needless to say, I couldn't eat them all before they went bad. The metric system is wasteful!

Distance measurements are just as bad. Somebody mentioned today that running 40 kilometres would be a marathon. I was like, 'Uh, no, Hopalong. A marathon is 26.6 miles.' Fortunately that was only in my head. Still, it seems odd to me. Marathon. 26 miles. How hard is that? Just quit with the kilometres business. Quit with metrics all together. Come to the dark side of Imperial Measurements and be happy. The two countries that use the imperial system have ruled the world. Coincidence? I doubt it.

No comments:

Blog Archive