Friday, February 20, 2004

Politically Correct

Today I taught two lessons on the Democratic primaries, and I was well prepared since I've been following the developments since October. I don't talk about politics much otherwise, and definitely not in this forum. But that doesn't mean I don't think about them. Thinking about them is probably unavoidable.

I'll admit, political discussions annoy the crap out of me. I suspect it's because they tend to be overly simplified, i.e. "The Republicans are evil and the Democrats are good and that's the way it is, forever and ever amen," or whatever. Or people embrace just one issue—abortion is a big one, as is the economy—and vote based on that, regardless of other equally important issues. Right to life? Republicans are making a mockery of the phrase with their insistance on enforcing and expanding the death penalty. I don't pretend to understand the economy, but I don't think the Democrats are going to be able to just manufacture money and jobs by providing tax breaks to manufacturers. They're not going to suddenly move back home and start paying a fair wage. It's not that simple.

And that's the point. Nothing is simple in politics, and it annoys me when people try to make it that way. Even trying to explain the election system to a bunch of 18-year-olds who are relatively intelligent is frustrating, because it's complicated and confusing.

I have a largely liberal outlook: I reject the death penalty, and I support gay marriage, affirmative action, stricter gun control, and environmental protection. But I don't reject Republicans outright, because they make a lot of good points. I have decided what I have decided on each individual issues, and I want everybody to stop trying to convince me. I'm not going to vote for anybody on your say-so. In fact, anything you say is just going to make me contrary. Like Edwards? I'm voting for Kerry. Like Bush? Good for you. Still voting for Kerry. Like Kerry? I don't want to hear about it.

Wanna talk about the weather? Computers? My students? Anything but politics, please.

No comments:

Blog Archive