Friday, January 25, 2008

Highlights from Student Evaluations

I had some particularly extreme classes last semester, so I knew student evaluations were going to be especially delightful this go-round. Man, I was totally right.

Critical Comments [My response in brackets.]
  • "Felt like there was one main interpretation for everything that everyone was supposed to get out of the material & I didn't understand the title of the class if that is the case."
  • "Not be such a strick [sic] grader." [I get this a lot.]
  • "Needs to work on new techniques of teaching besides class discussion." [Yes, I see your point. Less discussion in a discussion-based class. Let me make a note.]
  • "Very long reading assignments...they were sometimes difficult to understand which required me to think more."
  • "Instructor was too incompetent to merit seeing outside class." [Um, ouch. This kid also accused me of being antisemitic, of not allowing him to express himself, and of only discussing the plots of things. I just hope he asks me for a letter of recommendation someday. It makes me so mad that I gave his arrogant ass an A.]
  • "Bullshit," accompanied by a drawing of two penises. [I may frame this. On seeing this eval, my officemate commented, "How nice. He drew you a little self-portrait. I wonder if he did it from memory or had to check there in class."]

Positive Comments

  • "If we just sat there like bums she demanded we come up with some sort of response. This is a good trait to have as a teacher."
  • "She really has a broad point of view." [Ha! Take that, stupid kid who accused me of antisemitism.]
  • "Her biggest strength was being able to push a discussion that was going nowhere into soemthing interesting and somewhat intelligent."
  • "Learned a lot of new vocab from Josh C." [Josh C. = suspected penis artist.]
  • "I LOVED HER!" [I loved this student back. She told me in an e-mail that I have a "happy little spirit," which still makes me laugh.]
  • "Some of the readings were actually exciting."
  • "The atmosphere was pretty balmy." [I think he means it was a relaxed class, but it was sometimes too warm in that room.]
  • "One of the best teachers I've ever had." [I feel like I should put that on a book jacket or something.]

By and large the evaluations were more positive than negative, even in the class that gave me fits all semester. Of course you always dwell on the negative comments, so now I'm concerned with my competence, even though I know that, in general, I'm capable and comfortable in front of the classroom. I resent being made to question that by a 19-year-old nippledick. It makes it very hard to be balmy.

No comments:

Blog Archive