Sunday, December 04, 2005

Erin's Recipes for People Who Can't Cook: Why yes I am procrastinating version

So in a continuing wallowing theme, I had an urge to make something chocolate tonight, and I decided to pull a bedraggled scrap of paper out of my wallet. Said piece of paper bore a recipe for Easy Chocolate Truffles that Eileen, the massage therapist at my former(ish) place of work gave me. Unfortunately, she gave it to me verbally and sometimes I assume that I'm going to remember more than I do, so I don't write everything down. Needless to say, the recipe didn't turn out quite like I expected, but it is still delicious. However, I have changed the name of the recipe to reflect better what the final product looks like.

Chocolate Cow Pies

3/4 c. butter or margarine
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 can sweetened condensed milk*
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter. Add cocoa and stir until it dissolves. Add sweetened condensed milk. Decide that sweetened condensed milk is the stickiest substance known to man. Stir over low to medium heat until mix gets thick. (Yes, this is where the directions get vague. How thick? How long are we stirring, here? Longer than I was willing to, I suspect, and that was about 10 minutes.) Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Eat some off a spoon. Repeat as necessary. Spoon remaining batter onto cookie sheet in piles. Chill. Realize that cow pies will not come neatly off cookie sheet. Revel in how actual fresh cow pies would probably behave much the same. Gross.

*The first time I opened a can of sweetened condensed milk, I thought it had gone bad and I was horrified. Because seriously, it bears very little resemblance to milk. I mean, evaporated milk at least still looks like milk, you know? Anyway, yes, it is supposed to look like glue. Try not to think about what else it might look like.

No comments: